Monday 2 December 2013

Ordinary Thunderstorm

Hi guys. Yuki here. It's my first time writing for a blog so do pardon my mistakes.

For my first post, I'm going to do a book review, seeing as I rarely read books or novels. All I ever read are mangas for that matter. I blame my brother for that. Haha.

The novel  is entitled Ordinary Thunderstorm by William Boyd. It has very interesting themes, filled with thriller,comedy and whatnot. The story is about Adam Kindred, a young climatologist who had his life turned upside down as a result of a chance encounter and a split-second decision set in modern day London. His home, job, reputation, passport, money- basically everything had been lost. He had been wrongly accused, obviously, of murdering a Philip Wang, who was actually holding a secret crucial in the pharmaceutical world. In a panic, he took the secret files entrusted by Phillip and decided to go underground in hiding until things calm down. But, he was not really safe as the real murderer,a hired hitman was also chasing after him, other than the Metropolitan Police. So begins his adventurous life as he encounters people from all walks of life (aristocrats, priests, prostitutes and a policewoman).

Throughout the story, the characters develop quite slowly at first but it came out fine. Adam showed great progress in adapting to all the crisis he had, which is pretty awesome, I'd say. He had neat survival skills too. Constructing a strategic secret hideout, went under a disguise, scraping for enough food (in which he killed a seagull and barbequed the poor bird),conning other people, joining some religious cult and all sorts of crazy things that you would never imagine doing just to survive. Kinda terrifying if I were to live like that as it may happen to any of us.
When I think of London, I'd imagine a place with an air of elegance, people having tea out in the streets,scones and having daily conversation with that sexy British accent. Hehehe, just normal things right? But the story shows the other side of London that we (me, in particular) never had a clue about.

The novel is a pretty good read. I would recommend it for people who want to start reading thriller novels because it's a bit mild in my opinion.
So yeah, I had a great time reading it so far.Obviously i haven't finished it yet but yeah,you got the point,right?

P/S : It's kinda R15/R18 ish so be careful. Don't say I didn't warn you :3
The cover of the book.


Enjoy your day :D

2 comments:

robo said...

just saw this post whoops

your review of this book somewhat intrigues me, gonna add this book to my list.

diod said...

i'm not a reading person but this book looks interesting!